Wednesday, April 6, 2011
Barista?
Barista? Yes....No, No not a Barrister. I’m not a lawyer. A barista – Bar Iss Staa. How many times do baristas have to explain the difference between themselves and a high class QC laywer? And then at the end of the explaining you get a disappointed "Oh, so you make coffee?" Correct. I am not defending the rights of others, only defending the temperature of my coffee at a perfect 65 degrees. I know, this career choice is disappointing for some, but I’m not at all upset that I don’t have the high stress, high paying barister job my counterparts think I do for the first 30 seconds within meeting me. But you do get some quite amusing stories from dealing with the general public, the complete stupidity of some people, the rigoruous labour of standing on a machine all day. So I dedicate this blog to the life of the underestimated barista, who sometimes is compared with a doctor. How many times I get "you just saved my life" when I hand over a double latte extra hot. Yes, you can call me a life saver. So you might confuse your friend the barista for a solicitor, but those who love coffee know it's an art. Do you know how many times I’ve heard "where can I get a decent cup of coffee around here? Everywhere I’ve been is shit." Yes people are fussy with their coffee, and they might not know how a good cup of coffee comes about, how many variables take place and when you make 200 a day how hard it is to keep it consistent, but when they find a good one, they love it. See, an artform that no one knows how it comes about, but it is either extremely bad, or very good. See... art. Do you have a story from working as a barista. Do you work for a chain? A small independent coffee shop? Or both? Share your stories with us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment